[Coco] Re: CoCo needs?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Mar 8 04:32:38 EST 2005

DW does not require a controller to be plugged in.

The coco has no serial port driver though, so there is an issue of
"bootstrapping" to DW loader and then to OS-9.

Boisy made me an MP3 cassette file at some point that I loaded through
an MP3 player on the cassette port (since I don't have a working floppy
drive). I was using it to test my PalmOS DW server. But that was
experimental, and last I checked he couldn't make a new MP3 file that
worked for him for latest drivewire.

Now if you want to use DW with disk basic, someone will need to create a
patched disk basic rom and make a simple, hopefully cheap ROM cart with
it in ROM. This wouldn't do any good for apps that access the disk
controller directly though.

Other than that it would be a good, cheap solution (BTW, for the server
you can theoretically use anything with a serial port and storage space
and that can keep up with the coco talking at 57600... obsolete laptops,
PDAs, palmtops, old computers, ... someone had complained about not
having their PC close to their coco... lots of possible solutions for
the server side, since Boisy publishes the DW protocol)

-- John.