[Coco] Re: CoCo needs?

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Tue Mar 8 00:07:06 EST 2005

Mark:

Thanks for the info. on the LS-120, I sort of remember you
saying something about it a while back, but I have only
been glossing over messages due to my work schedule.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the LS 120 is only
compatable with 3.5" drives and not the older 360K 5.25"
drives.  If I am missing something here, could you please
clarify?

 From what I understand about the DriveWire (have not read
the docs all the way through yet -> work!) it requires
that the CoCo have a drive controller in the cartrage
slot.  Since controllers are hard to get, this makes the
use of the Drive Wire impractical for those with out
controllers.  What is it exactly that the Drive Wire
requires from the controller, and is it possible this
could be replaced by something else that could cost less?

Couldn't the controller be replaced by a cartrage with
just the boot PROM so the CoCo could access the server
(PC) Since HDOS is compatable with most of the non
OS-9/NitrOS stuff out there, that should be the primary
PROM on the cartrage.

I'm trying to think of low cost solutions to allow people
to use the DriveWire so as to use it's 3.5" and 5.25"
drives as well as HDD with the CoCo.  To be honest, if we
lose too many people because stuff like the controllers
are becoming rare, this community as a whole shoots it's
self in the foot.

A cheap DriveWire/Cartrage solution for around $75.00
might not be profitable in the short run, but when you
consider more and more people may be using them and they
in turn may create software to use other products, then in
the long run, it may be very profitable.

You're looking for developers, this is one way to bring
more into the fold.  I wish I had the technical skills
needed to help out more, but I barely have time to power
my CoCo up once in a while, let alone learn something
outside of work.

Just my $0.25 :)

-Jim