[Coco] Typical coco users age etc.

Mike Fisher mikefisher at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 28 12:00:00 EST 2005

Torsten Dittel wrote:
I'd like to see kind of a demographic profile of today's CoCo-Nuts. Age?
Profession? etc.

I'll be 64 this year but am not presently using the Coco - but I have
plans to return to it.
I started off in home computing with machine language on a Motorola 6800
with a whole 256 bytes of ram, Mikbug  and octal switches to enter the
data. My first 'real' program controlled a simple traffic light
intersection and used 36 bytes if biological ram serves. I was quite
pleased with myself until I saw the instructors on my course at the time
which did it with eleven!
I then moved onto a SWTC home built computer which eventually made it up
to having a Monitor and Keyboard, teletype and modem and a massive 16k
of memory and BASIC.
Then came the Coco

I started with a Coco1 in and eventually moved up to a Coco3 which I
added a hard drive to and built into a small tower case with three disk
drives. It was running NitrOS-9 when last used about six years ago. I
came across this list about four months ago and have followed the
discussions with interest.
I spent a lot of time in the Toronto Color Computer Club, the good old days!
It's a great machine and I hope to run it again later this year when a
few other things are finished.

I am semi retired these days, now running a small computer repair business.
regards,
            Mike Fisher, Toronto