[Coco] Re: Can coco3 play mp3?

Rogelio Perea os9dude at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 18:08:21 EST 2005

Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 25 March 2005 15:43, Ben Jimenez wrote:
>>>is there a program for the coco3 that can play mp3's?!
>>
>> An mp3 decoder needs about 50x the horsepower a coco has, and about 10
>> bits more in the audio precision.  While a reasonable something that
>> might play something recognizable might be done, I don't think anyone
>> would want to listen to it for an extended period of time.
>
> Though there are hardware mp3 decoders that could feasably be hooked up
> to the CoCo, I know it has been done with 8 bit AVR embedded processors,
> however their max speed is 16MHz, which is much faster than even the
> CoCo3. It could possibly work for low bit rates. The other thing of
> course is where to store the mp3s, they are typically a few meg, so
> unless you have a hard disk you're gonna be out of luck.

The "ultimate" multimedia CoCo setup is achieved by plugging the standard
cassette player through the cassette port, putting in a greatest hits audio
cassette in, pressing PLAY and then throw in an MOTOR ON and AUDIO ON at an
unsuspecting non-CoCo person... I did freak out a couple of friends this way
who could not believe the CoCo "could" play back such high quality audio
over the TV speaker... great April Fool's setup :-)

-=[ Rogelio ]=-