[Coco] CoCo related question?

Albert Stinger albertstinger24 at canada.com
Wed Mar 23 10:30:44 EST 2005

I have been testing the two emulators Mess running 512K coco3 RSDOS,
and JC/JV emulator with the same 512K coco3 RSDOS, but in a real
MSDOS system. I wanted to see how the systems handled the same
hardware text scrolling program SUM128 from March 1988 Rainbow.
This testing is want is lending itself to my questions, but first let me
tell
you want I observed. In Mess the horizontal hardware scroll seems
smoother while the JC/JV emulator was like scrolling from one end to
the other very quickly. The short story, they both were able to handle
showing the 128x28 scrolling text screen, but differently.

My questions, but first let. I'll ramble on some. I did a scan from the
Rainbow magazine and sent it to Note Pad with ORC'd text. I figured
it would be faster then typing in the whole listing from scratch. (Could
somebody or anybody please post the Rainbows on disk to a safe
place on the web. Please!) I went through the listing correcting any
obvious errors I found. I copied the text to the windows clipboard. I
then opened mess, and I pasted the clipboard data into it. When I saw
the listing being pasted into mess, I was ready to fall in love, but mess
couldn't handle the entire listing and I ended up with only the first part
of the listing in memory, so not trusting the rest. So much for love. I
also found that if I saved the listing in ASCII format, I would have
garbled text and line numbers missing from the listing. I need.
Depends.

The listing ended up pretty good after all the edits. What with going
back and forth between XP and DOS. Yikes! There is still bugs in
the listing. With no easy way of finding the errors. I found myself with
questions. Is there a way that the (Rainbow Check Plus) program be
used to check against the listing or are there any other ways to test for
logical type errors in a typed listing?  Is someone or anyone making a
slightly better edit for the coco3.rom? Please! Full screen editing to go
in the wasted rom space would be nice.

Albert Stinger.