[Coco] Scan Test

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Thu Jun 9 00:52:52 EDT 2005

Hey all - do me a favor and take a look see at the following -->
http://www.musicheadproductions.org/coco/softside_test.pdf.  I did some
quick guess based calculations and came up with the preliminary conclusion
that if we produced .pdfs of this quality we should be able to fit the
entire collection of Rainbow on somewhere around 7 or 8 DVD's...  My
numbers are based on guesses and most likely not conservative, but it's a
place to start.

The scans were done at 300ppi with a color depth of 24bits, and then
converted to a 144ppi pdf.  I think the scan quality is acceptible, though
there is quite a bit of post scan cleanup that could be done to spiff the
images up.

I think OCR might be a separate project considering space requirements.
The orginal 300ppi tiff files that were used to generate this pdf were
almost 250mb for 12 images.  I don't think it's very feasible to consider
selling the high resolution masters to everyone - the media costs and time
to burn that many DVDs would be prohibitive.  In my experience OCR works
much better with 2bit (black and white) images than grayscale or color.

Thoughts??

Regards,
Michael Harwood