[Color Computer] [Coco] Re: CoCo USB

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 31 23:37:51 EDT 2005

On Sunday 31 July 2005 16:44, George Ramsower wrote:
> [...]
I'd expect that once a driver is done, that it would be much more
usefull there, than in rs-basic.

The thing that seems to bother me about it is that basicly its flow of
data is many times faster than the coco can gobble it up.  That means
there must be a buffer in this kit that can hold at least 1 usb
packet, and some means to throttle the source until the coco has put
that packet away someplace. And all of that handshaking must operate
at the usb chipsets native speed.

OTOH, if a disk was writing thru this usb, the disk is going to need
some sort of a translation to convert from the coco's 256 byte sector
to the disks 512 byte sector, and some means of dealing with the
interleave in the disks format.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)