[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] The Shack is Back

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Sun Jul 31 13:50:28 EDT 2005

Here is my take:

RS originally split off the out-of-US operations to enhance the main stock
price. They were having too much trouble with exchange rates etc., so they
split the Canada/Australia/UK operation into Intertan, splitting the stock
to do it. For whatever reasons, eventually Circuit City bought out the whole
thing, although I still can't figure out why since the stores they got are
the reverse of big box. Radio Shack was licensing their brands to Intertan
but refused to do it for Circuit City.

However now that most of the big box US retailers are moving into Canada,
Wal-Mart, Best Buy etc., Radio Shack is trying again. I don't know how
successful they'll be, but I doubt they'll do franchise stores in Canada
again. I suspect it'll be bigger stores in main centers, company owned only.

Neil