[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jul 28 21:21:21 EDT 2005

To:             	ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com
From:           	"James Diffendaffer"
<jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com>
Date sent:      	Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:55:16 -0000
Subject:        	[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Hidden 256-
color mode
Copies to:      	Send reply to:
ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com,
	CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
<coco at maltedmedia.com>
	<mailto:coco-
	<mailto:coco-

> I think the best way to determine if the 256 color mode is in the GIME
> is to examine the prototype and learn how to turn it on... then test
> the GIME with working code.

I can't agree more here. I would love to have a week with that
board. I used to design hardware prototype boards for software
engineers to develope software on. It would be a treat to examine
this one.

> It would be interesting to compare dies of the GIME versions.
>
> I'm not sure removing the mode from the die would result in
> significant cost savings since it looks like a simple design.  It
> appears that the data sent to lookup colors just bypasses that phase
> and goes strait to the output through an additional register.  That
> means there could only be a couple additional gates to sense state to
> turn it on and disable the other data path.  It even requires a reset
> to disable.  It can't require a lot of chip realestate.  What it
> translates to on the die who knows.  A register, an and gate or two
> and a flip-flop could be expensive.

****

If they were usig a lookup table to do psuedo color then yes that
would take up a bit of real estate. On the prototype board is a 512
byte sram chip. It happens to be located near what appears to be
the composite video out and sound connectors.

*****

> >> The possibilies I see are:
> >> yyyyyrgb - 8 colors with 32 levels of intensity
> >
> >****
> >
> >first off this format will yield three colors and 32 levels of
> > intensity.
>
> RGB
> 000 - 1
> 001 - 2