[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 19:55:16 EDT 2005

I think the best way to determine if the 256 color mode is in the GIME
is to examine the prototype and learn how to turn it on... then test
the GIME with working code.

It would be interesting to compare dies of the GIME versions.

I'm not sure removing the mode from the die would result in
significant cost savings since it looks like a simple design.  It
appears that the data sent to lookup colors just bypasses that phase
and goes strait to the output through an additional register.  That
means there could only be a couple additional gates to sense state to
turn it on and disable the other data path.  It even requires a reset
to disable.  It can't require a lot of chip realestate.  What it
translates to on the die who knows.  A register, an and gate or two
and a flip-flop could be expensive.

>> The possibilies I see are:
>> yyyyyrgb - 8 colors with 32 levels of intensity
>
>****
>
>first off this format will yield three colors and 32 levels of
> intensity.

RGB
000 - 1
001 - 2