[Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jul 28 19:57:28 EDT 2005

Nick

That does not make sense either. A list of address spaces with in
the I/O address space where I have been unalbe to determine any
peripher for the Coco 3 uses.

$FF96
$FF97
$FF9B
$FFD4
$FFD5
$FFD6
$FFD7
$FFDA
$FFDB
$FFDC
$FFDE
also $FFE0 to $FFEF for a total of 27 registers. Another 16 could
be at $FF80 to $FF8F. That has always made me wonder. No I/O
peripheral use $FF80 to $FF8F. This logically is the firs block of 16
addresses within the upper128 bytes of the memory map. Yet the
first GIME register is at $FF90.

All would not require significant extra logic to decode these
registers. Most likely these all are decoded already within the chip.
So running out of registers to me seems unfounded. I still contend
that RS dictated the cost of the GIME chip within a range and going
over 68 pins exceeded the upper range of cost requirements.

james