[Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

Nickolas Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 27 15:54:59 EDT 2005

James wrote:
I thought enabling the 256 color mode was difficult because they had run
out of physical pins on the chip rather than to hide the mode from
Tandy. Not releasing the info was because of Tandy for sure.

Nick replied:
My contact at Tandy said the chip designer had run out of pins. This is
why the mode was a little weird to enter. It was more of a kludge mode,
exactly as you said, a function that the engineer said, "Hey! I can add
256 colors by just adding this!". Or maybe, at Tandy's request at
removing the mode he simply "hid" the mode rather than a major reworking
of the design. I also heard that originally, the GIME was to be an RGB
output only device and at the insistance of Tandy, they were forced to
add composite output at a later stage. This is why the composite mode
has a very different pallette system to the RGB mode. Maybe there was so
little space left of the chip that there was little left to fully
implement a proper palette system that matched the RGB output. Maybe
sections were sacrificed from the 256 mode in order to implement the
composite part. Interestingly, PAL based CoCo3's do not use the
composite output of the GIME. Instead, there is a daughter board hanging
below the mainboard that takes the GIME's RGB output and creates PAL
composite video. The palette table used for composite PAL video is the
same as the RGB palette...a much better system of only having the one
palette to program for.

James wrote:
However if each byte had the color info built in then the hardware just
bypasses some of the existing hardware when in the 256 color mode and
passes on the info dirrectly.

Nick replied:
Once again, read my web page. It describes an observation that John
Kowalski made of the GIME chip block diagram within the Tandy CoCo3
service manual. John, in analyzing the block diagram, in particular
where the video data is passed to the 6 bit color map ram, noticed an
extra register before the color ram component that appears as a bypass.
It appears to pass the video data past the 6 bit color palette ram and
into another register just after it. John couldn't work out what
register this was. It was after John's observation and his suspicions of
a 256 color mode that we happen to make contact with a person at Tandy
who was actually involved with the design of the CoCo3 (a contact whome
we have lost since). Without mentioning to this person about John's
suspicions, he came out (on an IRC chat at the time) with a comment,
"Have you found the hidden 256 color mode"? Johns and my jaw dropped
because it it was the first piece of possible proof that the mode may
actually exist. Next was the official Tandy R&D document (also on my web
site) from Mark Hawkins that showed the mode was certainly in the design
stage.

Roger wrote:
Nick, I would like to post all or some of your articles on this subject
on CoCo3.com and see what happens. We're getting over 15,000 hits a
month and I'm sure we have some old Tandy officials or designers who
stumble through. It's worth a try to stir something up on this and get
some more information that might lead to the answer.

Nick replied:
No need. Just link to my 256 color page off my web site. Everything we
know so far is there, described clearly.

Link to it via:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/nickma/ProjectArchive/256mode.html

At this stage, we need to either...

1) Find someone who was actually part of the CoCo3 development team who
actually knows about the mode.

2) Have the CoCo3 prototype analyzed more closely to see if more clues
could be found.

Nickolas Marentes