[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Other WAV2CAS

James the Animal Tamer emucompboy at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 16:30:16 EDT 2005

> I had some tapes that wouldn't load so I started to look into
writing
> a program to deal with it.

Yeah, I've had to do that for some systems for which none had
previously existed, most notably the Panasonic JR-200U.

> Tape files are stored in blocks with headers, checksums, etc.

Yup.  Most systems use a simple checksum.  The Aquarius,
unfortunately, has absolutely no quality-of-data check whatsoever.
The VZ has one simple checksum over the whole file.  Most other
systems store them in blocks and have a one byte simple checksum per
block.  Damn, I wish they'd done a real 16-bit CRC.

> Most programs just try to load one save of a program and that's it
or
> try noise reduction which can also kill the actual data.

Yup, done that, had to go back and massage the waves by hand to fix.

> A lot of the commercial tapes have multiple copies of the program
> stored on them.

Yup, usually I grab the tape and digitize both sides in both bays of
my cassette deck, stereo.  Then I separate the tracks and process
everything.  Then I compare the results, and the "most likely" which
is consistent with the checksum, if any, is what I archive.

> The program loads the blocks from one save of the program, detects
> which blocks are bad and then loads another save and it combines the
> good blocks from the multiple saves.  As long as there are errors
and
> more saves the program can attempt to recover more blocks.  If you
> have multiple tapes... it could even try from other tapes.

Yeah, I've been doing this procedure manually.  Works quite well;
I've recovered everything for the Panasonic JR-200U except Winnie The
Pooh's Lucky Letter Game.

> Those were the ideas anyway.

The problem facing me now is old copies of Alice cassettes (same tape
file format as MC-10, which is close enough to CoCo format so that
they can load each other's tapes).  And I do mean copies -- they were
apparently copied by holding a microphone from a cassette recorder up
to the speaker of a cassette player;  I can hear people talking in
the background on some of the cassettes.  Attempting to load them
gives me I/O error.  It's pretty crazy.  There's a "smart converter"
for the Sinclair Specu... er, Spectrum;  I was hoping that the CoCo
would have one too.  If not, I'll have to figure out where the
problems are and massage the WAVs manually.  Time consuming!

Yahoo! Groups Links