[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Other WAV2CAS

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 16:18:12 EDT 2005

I had some tapes that wouldn't load so I started to look into writing
a program to deal with it.
It's on my To-Do list somewhere around project 100 so I won't get to
it but here's the idea.

Tape files are stored in blocks with headers, checksums, etc.
Most programs just try to load one save of a program and that's it or
try noise reduction which can also kill the actual data.

A lot of the commercial tapes have multiple copies of the program
stored on them.

The program loads the blocks from one save of the program, detects
which blocks are bad and then loads another save and it combines the
good blocks from the multiple saves.  As long as there are errors and
more saves the program can attempt to recover more blocks.  If you
have multiple tapes... it could even try from other tapes.

So, none of the loads may work by themselves but combined you might be
able to recover all the blocks.  At least that's the theory.

After that it could try to align the audio of bad blocks from
different loads and use a comparison as a guide for noise elimination
and/or it could eliminate any noise the doesn't match the proper
timing for a signal the computer would generate.

Those were the ideas anyway.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "James the Animal Tamer"
<emucompboy at y...> wrote:
> Hello.
> To convert WAV files to CAS, I have been using DC (Dragon Convert) by
> Paul Burgin, and also an emulator-based program of my own
> ("casinlogger") to convert WAV files to CAS (for CoCo) format.
>
> I have recently obtained some tapes for which neither of these programs
> are giving satisfactory results.  (Let's face it, the tapes were noisy
> when they were recorded, and 21 years of sitting in someone's closet
> hasn't done them any good).
>
> Do you know where I can find another WAV-TO-CAS utility?

Yahoo! Groups Links