[Coco] [Color Computer] The ongoing Hot Coco saga

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Jul 22 12:52:23 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 12:35 -0400, Rod Barnhart wrote:
> Michael,
>
> If the authors gave away their rights to IDG (or previous owners of
> the magazine) then you would need IDG's permission instead of the
> authors'. If the authors retained copyright of their own works, and
> you have the authors' permission, I don't see how a cease and desist
> from IDG could carry any weight. It all depends on those original
> agreements. If IDG can't find them, then I wouldn't be too concerned
> as long as the authors agree to allow you (or whoever steps up) to
> republish.
>
> Rod

Yes, and there has to be an actual writing for copyright assignment to
be enforceable (I think under the "statute of frauds.") No oral
contracts.

So if they really don't have this stuff they are probably starting to
sweat right now that their precious intellectual property is about to
become free.

If only we could find some Hot Coco authors that retained their original
agreements, or at least an authorative statement from some former
insider as to what was agreed (and if the agreements were all the same).

-- John.