[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] C-Cubed

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Thu Jul 21 17:25:54 EDT 2005

On Jul 21, 2005, at 3:27 PM, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> James
>
> The networking issues will be the more difficult issues. Basically the
> compiler resides on a license server. To access a license copy of
> the compiler, the user will either have to login with a account an
> password or use IP and/or MAC address. IP address works fine for
> a company as the server sits behind a firewall and the client
> workstations don't change IP addresses daily. MAC addresses work
> real fine as that changes only  when the ethernet card changes.
> In the case of doing this license server over the internet with IP
> addresses will be a nightmare since most ISPs change IP addresses
> at least weekly. Some daily. MAC addresses have problems for
> those that operate behind firewalls.

james,

The network solution, if employed, would be significantly less
complicated than you presuppose.   Let's say, hypothetically, that I
reserve the domain name cococcompiler.com and reserve ports 10040 for
the compiler and 10041 for the optimizer.  Then within the
distributed comp and opt binaries, the actual compiler and optimizer
code would be stubbed out, and in its place would be code which would:

1. connect to the respective port of cococcompiler.com
2. write the input file
3. read the output file

There would be no license server.  If you want, you could connect via
telnet and feed the code by hand.  It is simply a matter of relying
on the reliability of the compile server and of the person's own
internet connection.  That's it.

You can't get much simpler than that.

Boisy