[Coco] OT: Mmmm... Beer!

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Wed Jul 20 19:47:53 EDT 2005

Roger:

See replies below.

-Jim

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:15:20 -0400
  Roger Merchberger <zmerch at 30below.com> wrote:
> Rumor has it that Jim Cox may have mentioned these
>words:
>>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:00:41 -0400
>>
>>I'm not much of a beer drinker...
>
> My condolences... ;^> [Just kidding!]

Never really developed a taste for it, though I do like
local heffaweis<sp> (wheat)beers or Corona with lime.

Now I have to watch it though since beer is not good for
my blood sugars (type 2 diabetic)

>>so could someone answer a question I have wondered about
>>regarding Guiness?  Should it be served chilled or at
>>room temp?
>
> Dunno about Guinness, but at least in Germany, if a
>gasthaus had refrigeration capabilities, beer was usually
>served chilled, as in 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit.[1] At
>least in '91, there were still a few that I went to that
>didn't have any cooling abilities at all. I prefer it
>chilled, but German beer warm is drinkable. American beer
>is *not*.
>
> Ice cold beer was marketed by the big American breweries
>so you couldn't taste the crap (technical term: adjuncts)
>they use in the beermaking[2] process. There are over 60
>different adjuncts that American breweries can and do
>use, not the least of which is formaldehyde!
>
> Crack a nice warm Bud and schlug 'er down -- you'll see
>what I mean then. ;-) [[ Yes, I did that once! Not a good
>experience. ]]
>
> Sam Adams is the only American beer that is exported to
>Germany, as they're the only (decently large) beer
>company that brews to the standards of Reinheitsgebot,
>the German beer purity law of 1518, which states that the
>only ingredients that can be used in beer for sale in
>Germany are: Water, Yeast, Hops, and Barley.

Reinheitsgebot?  Sounds like a good name for a robot that
is programmed to get beers for it's owner.  :)

>>By the way, the half and half mentioned above is also
>>called a black and tan.
>
> Actually, that's not correct. half-n-half and
>black-n-tan are two different drinks:
>
> Half-n-half: Guinness and Harp (which is a lager)
> Black-n-tan: Guinness and Bass (which is an ale)

Obviously you are far more experienced and knowedgable
than I :)

> I'm sure I could bore you to tears with the differences
>between ales and lagers, but then Dennis would shoot me
>in the face with a Bazooka.

Reply to me off the list, I am interested in the differce
in all the types of beers.