[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Other WAV2CAS

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 15:29:55 EDT 2005

--- Stephen Blunt <sblunt at agsecorp.com> wrote:

> I was wondering about ways to clean up those lovely old tapes. I was thinking
> that the following steps may help:
>
> 1. Record them to PC as .wav
> 2. Load the .wav into your favorite emulator.
> 3. Resave the file as a new .wav
>
> Would the new .wav file, as recorded to a virtual cassette, be "clean" or
> would it still suffer from the same problems as the original? If it does
> produce "clean" results, wav2cas programs may work better.

I suspect that if a tape (or wav file) gives IO errors when an emulator tries
to  load it that a wav to cas conversion would have the same problem... might
even make it worse. If you have a stubborn cassette that just won't load, you
might try tweaking it with Cool Edit or something similar. You can literally
see the ones and zeros, so it may be possible to painstakingly restore bad
sections. The tapes I have found to be most likely corrupted over time are the
"factory" tapes sold by RS. I guess they didn't believe their own hype about
using "certified computer cassettes"... I never did either, I just used good
quality T-60s and all of MY tapes are still readable. RS apparently used the
cheapest material they could find.

As for other Wav to Cas tools, the OP didn't mention Jeff Vavasour's CASIN and
CASOUT. They are included with his CoCo2 emulator and give instructions if you
don't specify any parameters. CASIN expects a Wav file to be 11KHz, mono, 8
bit.

Good luck,
Bob