[Coco] [Color Computer] acquiring permission to publish orphaned works

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Jul 19 16:19:29 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 12:42 -0700, Basil Fitze wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why limit it to Rainbow why not the Hot Coco maybe the owners would
> consider giving it too the Coco Community as a whole and then we all can
> share it maybe someone would like to setup a Library fro all of us to
> access.

Tracking down authors and getting permission is a lot of work. And when
you find them, you must ask very nicely and tread cautiously.

If you have one article or other copyrighted work you are interested in,
and the author owns the copyright, it's certainly doable. I did this for
the book Thinking Forth, it was a great success.

However, trying to free up a whole issue is probably impossible (some
authors are dead or hard to reach, or a pain in the rear about
intellectual property issues "it's mine! you just want to steal my
stuff!," albeit stuff with no significant commercial value...). The
advertisers are all gone, so there's little chance you will get hold of
all of them.

By all means, I think it would be fantastic for someone to do such a
project. But having tried similar things in the past with varying
degrees of success, it won't be me (and you either Michael... focus! ;-)
actually I think it's cool you are getting the questions answered by
IDG... keep hammering at them maybe you'll wear them down)

-- John.

Yahoo! Groups Links