[Coco] [Color Computer] Requesting .pdf help...

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Jul 18 22:05:21 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 18:39 -0600, Michael Wayne Harwood wrote:
> I appreciate the help!  I certainly am not trying to be callous in my
> approach, but I am a bit frustrated with having to trade size for quality.
>  It wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't able to compare .djvu along side of it
> and see the obvious differences.  I have said that OCR is not my main
> goal, but knowing I can have searchable text AND an excellent looking
> presentaion at a file size small enough to be able to include eveything on
> a single DVD is very attractive to me.  I will keep plugging at the app
> you sent me the link to...

Yes I don't really care too much about djvu vs. pdf. Just data formats
after all. sam2p Just seemed like an interesting option if it works.

> It's also important that the DVD be as self contained as possible with
> viewers (both stand alone and browser plugins) included.  There is a
> free-standing java viewer that might lend itself very nicely to this
> project, and a full text search (javascript based) engine that might be
> nice to include as well...  In short DjVU lends itself to a VERY classy
> product.

If you can afford 50 meg we could combine each DVD into a bootable Damn
Small Linux (DSL) remaster which has the ability to view the DVD and if
you want, to make a backup copy of itself. That way it's very easy for
the user to protect their investment... every 10 years they can make a
new backup. Who knows how long recordable DVDs will last.

Are there Debian packages for the DJVU viewer? There are detailed
instructions/scripts in DSL for adding Debian packages to a DSL
distribution.

How's that for scope creep. But if you were interested in that, I could
try to get something going. I think a library that comes with the tools
to easily back itself up is a compelling application beyond just this
project.

-- John.

Yahoo! Groups Links