[Color Computer] Re: [CoCo] sidetracks

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Mon Jul 18 21:19:22 EDT 2005

I know what you mean, Mike. It would be really nice to be able to drop a
credit card through a secure server and receive instant gratification... I
mean immediately download a CD-ROM image or ZIP file.

Unfortunately, I suspect the costs far outweigh the benefits. Your first
expense is wrangling up a reliable hosting company with lots of bandwidth
for such a large download. Your second cost is obtaining certificates for
SSL to enable secure credit card transactions. The most expensive cost is
wrangling up a secure merchant service (e.g. Verisign), a reliable credit
card processor (e.g. Vital, PaymentTech, or NDC eCommerce) and hooking it up
to your Internet merchant account at your bank.

Most of these involve monthly "subscription" fees as well as per-transaction
fees that really add up over time and may require a one-year commitment.
PayPal is a little more, but it's a heckuva lot cheaper.