[Coco] Re: [coco3] upscan video converter

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Sat Jul 16 07:06:27 EDT 2005

> <<
>  It was an intereting hack w/out the uC, but with the uC, Why keep the
>  I2C bus stuff around? Since the uC is doing it anyway, this seems
>  superfluous. If anything, I'd rather see a RS232 header on the PCB for
>  connecting up and reprogramming firmware on the uC, or just getting
>  status.
>
>  I guess it doesn't really impact anything though. >>
>
> Point taken.    If we were still using the cassette cable it would make
> sense to provide just temporary connectivity whenever needed
> to update the uC
> programming.    But we can keep continuous total access without
> any extra trouble so why not.    You right tho,
> it doesn't matter now.

I'd still like to see the "data line" between the device and the CoCo.
The AL chips provide lots of status information and parameters we might
want to change by software (like brightness, contrast, etc.). I guess
each differnet CoCo/Monitor setup has different "optimum" parameters,
and each user should be able to figure them out personally and play
around with the settings.

It should be possible at any point to set or check (if someone else
needs the same) or change the default values which will be present at
power up (or simulation of the latter).

I admit a RS-232 serial connector makes it more versatil for other
systems.

Torsten

PS: I'll try to make the device work with the french RGB MC-10, Coco 1,
1B , 2, and 2B too.