[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] why you should stick with pdf

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 11:10:53 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "John W. Linville"
<linville at t...> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:15:25PM -0000, James Diffendaffer wrote:
> > --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "John W. Linville"
> > <linville at t...> wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, as long as I mothball a complete, working system every 3-5
> > > years so that I can do the conversion chain...no, thanks...
> >
> > If the source code weren't available you might have a valid argument
> > but the viewers are open source on sourceforge.net.  Besides, the
>
> Great.  So in several years, I'll have the privilege of porting djvu
> software myself.  The alternative would be to use the PDF viewer that
> I'm 100% confident will be available on whatever platforms are running
> then, probably without having to install anything I don't already have.

"I don't want to install anything I don't already have"

THAT is the bottom line right there... good luck with that btw.

He's already stated he would probably have a PDF version as well.  Why
shouldn't he produce a DjVu version if he also provides a PDF version?

> Why on Earth would you want to pay for the privilege of creating
> patent-encumbered documents using less-than-popular file formats?

There's no restrictions on the distrobution of the documents or the
open source project.

Why would I want it?  So it fits on one disk and I can search it
without installing files on my hard drive.  I'd rather fill it with
software tools and projects for work than old magazines.
If he can fit the PDFs on one disk... great... if it requires a dual
layer DVD that's fine too.  I just don't want 8 disks and I know from
experience that DjVu can do this.
Besides, it's much easier and cheaper to produce one disk than 8.

Yahoo! Groups Links