[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] why you should stick with pdf

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Tue Jul 12 09:39:23 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:15:25PM -0000, James Diffendaffer wrote:
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "John W. Linville"
> <linville at t...> wrote:
>
> > Sure, as long as I mothball a complete, working system every 3-5
> > years so that I can do the conversion chain...no, thanks...
>
> If the source code weren't available you might have a valid argument
> but the viewers are open source on sourceforge.net.  Besides, the

Great.  So in several years, I'll have the privilege of porting djvu
software myself.  The alternative would be to use the PDF viewer that
I'm 100% confident will be available on whatever platforms are running
then, probably without having to install anything I don't already have.

Which option makes sense to you?

> For internet based documents there is no comparison between the
> formats.  DjVu files are much smaller to begin with and content can be

Are the magazine scans being placed on the web?  When they are,
feel free to use djvu.  Until then, use the current de facto standard.

> >From past experience... some of the people that are complaining may
> not buy the disk for any number of reasons even if a pdf version is
> produced.  What if they don't like the price?

_If_ it is any of _your_ business (who the hell are you?), I am one
of the freer spenders in the community.  I bought a copy of Roger's
Portal9, even though I don't have a Windows box to run it on, I bought
one of the few examples of Nick Marentes's DigiWiper, I've spent a
fair amount w/ Cloud-9 over the years (including _2_ pre-orders for
SuperBoards), and I've been known to bid rather high on eBay.
There are many other examples, if it matters.

Price is unlikely to chase me away from this.  Premature adoption of
un- (or possibly not-yet-)popular technology might.

Why on Earth would you want to pay for the privilege of creating
patent-encumbered documents using less-than-popular file formats?
All so that you can feel like a cutting-edge technologist while you
are archiving 20-year-old computer magazines?  Ridiculous!

Just charge the extra $2 (or whatever) it takes to cover the additional
PDF-laden CDs and be done with it...

John
--
John W. Linville