[Coco] why you should stick with pdf

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Jul 12 11:01:59 EDT 2005

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in:

We need a comparison - something that I would argue is why are we
contemplating software readers anyhow (whether PDF or Djvu)? All that is
being done is archiving some scans at a certain resolution and some way
of paging thru them. I tend to doubt that a PDF or Djvu file reduces
size so much of a bunch of scans, than using some generated HTML with
frames as a viewer or some javascript or something like that.

But - I really don't know.

So - first off, we need a comparison (size and quality) between:

1. PDF format
2. Djvu format
3. "Raw" format (that is, the raw pictures *used* to build the above)

Tack on 5k or so to the last one to make up for the HTML/Javascript
viewer (if one is needed, I will be the first to volunteer to find/write
one).

I like the argument for Djvu as well as for PDF - they both have their
pros and cons. We need to ask ourselves, as a community, why are we
doing this? Are we doing it so that everyone who has a CoCo *now* can
view the Rainbow from the past? Or are we doing it so that everyone who
lives today or *tommorow*, and has an interest in these (to their time)
historical documents - can view them?

I can guarantee you that if it is the latter, I would be picking the
preservation method most likely to survive the ages - which would be the
raw images with an HTML/javascript viewer. Source included, human
readable, and in a pinch, a simple image viewer will work (provided you
can still read the data). The next best would be Djvu, and the last of
course, PDF format.

I agree with the arguments about PDF formats for other systems being
behind on platforms other than Mac or Windows. Things have gotten
better, but I suspect that the format for *nix and others is still
behind, but it has just caught up to say, 2001 or so levels and most of
the documents out there are still being made in the older manner (ie,
for Acrobat Reader 3, 4, and 5) - for those still on Windows 98, most
likely or something - or those who haven't upgraded their reader.

But - at any time - I would imagine that Adobe or someone else who comes
along and gobbles up Adobe and their tech - could pull the rug out from
under everything. Sure - it may be a standard - but it is still a
corporate controlled "standard" with a public spec that may or may not
work 20 years or more hence. Don't even get me started on Java, either -
it is in the same pickle.

For historical archival (isn't this what this project is about?) - we
should choose the *most* open, and more importantly - the most *FREE*
(that is, in freedom - the ability to have the standard, the spec, and
the source, and do with it as you like or NEED, FOREVER) - manner in
which to archive these magazines for the general public consumption (I
would argue only take full scan raw image TIFFs or something - but those
would be huge - personally, I would love it if such a set were made
available - I would probably pay $200.00 or more for such a set).

This manner would (obviously) have to be raw images with an
HTML/javascript viewer, or Djvu (where the source and spec are
available, and can be included on the discs with the magazine, and is GPL).

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona