[Coco] Re: wondering about 68k machines

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sat Jul 9 12:00:15 EDT 2005

Hello RJRTTY at aol.com

As a still current Amiga user, yes I believe the Amiga could have passed as
a CoCo4 had Tandy offered a machine like it. As for acquiring one, I'd
suggest checking e-bay. I have an A4000 that I will part with in the near
future, but not right now, I still have files I have to transfer into the
Amiga emulator's version of CoCo emulator's DSK files. Didi that make
sense? 8-). The A4000 is equiped with the Motorola 68060 CPU which runs at
50hz. It has 192mgs of RAM, but rigyt now the power supply fan isn't
fanning. The powersupply still works, but I don't allow it to run very long
for fear of overheating it. Unitl that happened, I was still running my
type setting business on it. Anyway check E-Bay, there are opportunities
out there. Also there are a nmber of Amiga groups on Yaho, you might
consider joining a couple of those too. IMT, I will keep my eye open for
any A500s if that is the only model you want.

On 07/09/2005, RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/9/05 4:58:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:
>
> << -)  Yes, I've been in that boat too, finding some of my amiga stuff
>  where I least expected it.  Do I care now?  No, my machine died.   >>
>
>     I have been thinking of getting an old 68k machine like the
> Amiga 500.     I always wanted a 68k machine but never got
> around to getting one.     I guess I was subconciously always waiting
> for a 68k based coco4 from Tandy.
>
>          How hard is it to get hardware and software support for the
>          Amiga nowadays.  Would it make a good approximation to what a
> 68k coco4 would be or would the Atari 520 ST be a better example.
>    It's clock is 8 Mhz I think?     Does that make it 4 times faster
> than the coco3?  Does it "feel" 4 times faster when executing machine
>  code or basic?
>
> just wondering if it would be worth the trouble...
>
> Roy

Regards
--
Cruising on AutoPilot                       |
        With an Amiga           ---o-o-O-o-o---  and a CoCo