[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Fw: Copyright

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 9 16:58:42 EDT 2005

On Saturday 09 July 2005 16:02, James the Animal Tamer wrote:
>> The key word is innovation.  Now, if anyone writes a story
>
>involving a
>
>> mouse, Disney will exert sufficient pressure to quash the work,
>> and another promiseing author of childrens books or such will be
>
>flipping
>
>> burgers at McD's.
>
>Dunno.  I liked Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of NIMH (although the
> movie based on it had a suck-big-time ending).
>
>> Mickey Mouse should have reverted to the public domain 40 years
>
>ago.
>
>I'd disagree with you here.  I think the intellectual property that
>is actively being used by the original owner or heir should be
>retained by the owner or heir (so, no, I am not planning on writing
> a Winnie The Pooh book, and I don't think you should be either).

I'm at best ambivalent on that.  The founding fathers did, I think,
know what they were doing and all we've done since is screw it up.

>What I'd like is for there to be a reasonable "if it's been out of
>print for x years, it should become public domain" law.

I'm highly in favor of an out of print, its public domain law.  With a
1 year limit, or less if the publisher has already declined to meet
the demand in a hard copy communication.  That way if Addison-Weseley
doesn't want to redo a production run, its fair game long before the
contained information is out of date.  And I keep picking on A-W
because they were the publisher of the amigados manuals, and when
they were out of print, it was tough nouggies folks.  But they damned
sure made it clear that they would prosecute to the fullest extent of
the law, any violations of "their" copyright.  They could in fact,
have sold 3-5 production runs the same size as the first.  I have a
set of them sitting here, and I've turned down 3x what I paid back
when they included the equally copyrighted kickstart rom set.

>Of course, I'm biased.  I have copyrighted software up for download
>on my website, some of which I don't have permission for.

:-)  Yes, I've been in that boat too, finding some of my amiga stuff
where I least expected it.  Do I care now?  No, my machine died.
There is no use of the very usefull software I co-wrote for it dying
with my machine.  I'm referring of course to EzCron, because amigados
didn't have a cron-like utility.  Full gui interface, . double ought
zero cpu useage.  A copy of that cron is still doing much of the leg
work in putting the news stories up on our web page at
<http:www.wdtv.com>, and has been since 1997.

Since then I've also given several registered users of EzHome
permission to pass that usefull utility along to anyone who wants it.
The wayback machine even has copies of our web page at the time, but
unforch, the download links aren't good.  Sad...

I practice what I preach.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)