[Coco] $0.25 per what ?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Jul 8 16:21:57 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 15:09 -0500, Mannequin* wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:55:44 -0500
> "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at boisypitre.com> wrote:
>

> > My prediction is that within 3 months of the release of the project,
> > there will be wholesale copying of these DVDs and Lonnie will be
> > deprived of a great deal of revenue.
> >
> > Boisy
>
> Lonnie isn't in it for the bucks. He's letting this go for less that what his
> lawyer suggested. All he's doing by keeping a price on it, is keeping up the
> copyrights. If he were to let this go for nothing, then, from what I understand,
> that would legally be letting the copyrights go and turning it over to public
> domain.

That's not correct. Otherwise, for example, the GPL and BSD licenses
wouldn't work. You can give copies of copyrighted works away, or grant
others a license to make copies regardless of price.

However, I do take at face value Lonnie's claim that he needs to charge
a nominal fee. But from what I've gathered the legal reason has to do
with *contracts* between him and the advertisers and/or authors. These
are contractual obligations, nothing directly to do with copyright.

> IMHO, I think he should keep his copyrights protected. Lonnie and his staff
> worked hard for years for all of this. If he doesn't want to let the copyrights
> go, then he shouldn't have to.

No, he doesn't have to, and based on his statements, contractually, he
cannot without breaching contract. And if he breaches contract, that
opens him up to liability.

-- John.