[Color Computer] Re: [coco] software modem for OS-9

orangedeal orangedeal at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 23:35:26 EDT 2005

The closest comparable antic I can think of was some aquaintences of
mine that used the cassette ports hooked to the mic input and
extension speaker jacks of a couple CB radios.  They were able to
communicate 'digitally' across town.  This was under RSDOS, not OS 9.
 It really isn't legal to do that though.  CB's are supposed to be
voice only if I remember correctly.  Doubt that anyone cared.  In this
locale there were plenty of lightly used channels that could be used
without bothering anyone.
kk

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "George Ramsower" <yahoo at d...>
wrote:
>  I can't imagine why anyone would want to do this, but I'm curious if
> someone ever wrote a routine for OS-9 that will use the cassette
port to
> communicate with a device using modem tones A.K.A. FSK... like is
used to
> utilize the cassette in RSDOS.
>  Perhaps in amateur radio land there was something to use on radios to
> transfer data, before the modem chips caught up with packet radio?
>
>  My purpose is to use my TRS-80 Color Computer Plug-N-Power timer
with OS-9.
> Since the timer uses FSK for data exchange with the coco, normal OS-9
> drivers won't do this.
>
>  If there isn't a driver for this, perhaps someone has an old
acoustical
> modem they might wish to part with. I can modify it for this
application,
> using hardware to do the work which could be done in software, but I
don't
> know how to program in assembly..
>
> George

Yahoo! Groups Links