[Coco] Regarding Copyright and the Rainbow Magazine

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 11:24:35 EDT 2005

> Though I wish that this were in
> the public domain or available for free I will do my best to abide by the
> agreement Lonnie and I have entered into.

Wow, I didn't mean to cause such a blowup... I understand everyone's point of
view, and point out the following:

1) I never said I was going public with anything... including the publicly
available data that is already on the web, forever archived for everyone except
Lonnie's benefit. I simply wanted to offer a "better" solution than offering a
pdf of something that's already going to be included in the pdfs.

2) Based on Lonnies replies, I still see room for this to fit into the original
agreement.
   a)If I produce an online database based on OCR, it could be secured and
     access given only to those who purchased the archive. Information on
     accessing the data could be included as part of your package. This does
     not give anyone anything they didn't already pay for.
   b)Regardless of that, even Lonnie said (in his 2nd reply) that manually
     generated list would not infringe his copyright. So I *could* choose to
     make a public database that allows individual magazine owners to enter
     their own index data.*

3) Such a databse, if publicly available, would only serve to increase sales.
Someone is more likely to buy the Rainbow archive if they know [that/where]
they can find exactly what they're looing for. A database could only benefit
the community as a whole.

* I want to include more detail than the Rainbow index offers anyway, such as
keyword searches for Q&A columns. Page numbers and dates are not copyrightable,
so at most, as the man himself pointed out, article titles would be copied, and
even LF said that would be silly to pursue.

Let's keep our heads about us and not go blowing things out of proportion. Try
to keep the politics to a minimum and just work towards benefiting the
community.

cheers, and keep up the great work Michael,
Bob Emery