[Coco] Trouble with nitros9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 3 22:50:57 EDT 2005

Right, for OS-9/NitrOS-9 to boot there must be a Boot module on track 34
of the floppy. On real floppy drives, Boot is hard coded to access
floppy drive #0. Since you wish to boot from the HDBDOS "drive" 255, the
  standard Boot won't work. You need a Boot that is hard coded to access
drive #255.

You also need to tell the OS-9 portion of your hard drive, specifically
LSN0 (logical sector #0) that the os9boot file is on "drive" #255. This
is done with a special HDBDOS configuration utility. This utility needs
to know the size of the OS-9 partition, adds to that the size of 254
Disk Basic drives, and finally adds on the LSN of os9boot on "drive"
255. The sum of these offsets is then placed on LSN0 indicating the
location of the os9boot file.

If the above is still not clear, I strongly advise you to contact
Cloud-9 for detailed specific instructions for formatting both your CF
card and new hard drive.

Since your hard drive won't boot until there is a formatted and loaded
OS-9 partition, you will have to boot OS-9/NitrOS-9 from a floppy making
sure that the boot file contains a driver and descriptor for the hard
drive. Then you will need to logically format the OS-9 partition, and
install NitrOS-9 prior to any attempt at creating "drive" #255.