[Coco] double sided disks

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Sun Jul 3 03:20:00 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 11:14:45PM -0700, Neil Morrison wrote:

> [...]

Yes. I get the same error with both the 502 and modded 501 drive.

> > Another problem (and in my opinion a bigger problem) is that when
> > I try to "flip" the ds-dd floppies that I have over and use the other
> > side I get an IO error from dskini0. After my first try I remembered
> > that I needed to cut out a notch on the side of the disk or when I
> > flipped the disk the drive would detect it as being write protected.
> > Even after cutting a notch on the side of the disk in the same location
> > as the original on the disk to no avail.
>
> The notch is only needed to format and write a flippy which is a very bad
> idea anyway. Did you punch an extra hole in the floppies for the index?
>
> I would never try to use the back like that. It was an el cheapo idea when
> floppies were $3+ each.

That explains it. There's no second index hole in the disks. There should be
no problem with using "back side" of the floppy. Afterall it's exactly what
a double sided drive would do. In any case without an index hole I'm not
going to be able to "flip" the disks. :-(

Frank