[Coco] Hidden 256-color -mode

Nickolas Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 29 15:58:47 EDT 2005

Mark Marlette wrote:
Al H. had the board at the last ChicagoFest. I got to see it. You better
give yourself more than a week. It took a development team a to develop
that board and for a single person to reverse engineer it will take ten
times as long.

Nick replies:
True, but we don't want to rebuild the entire computer. We are looking
for clues that will point us into the next step of the mystery of the
256 color mode. Things like, how many bits is the video DAC output? This
would immediately tell us if the RGB output is even capable of driving
more than 64 colors. James was able to determine several things just by
looking at the early photos that Al posted so even just a few weeks
would be better than nothing at all. A good set of detailed photos with
the red stickers removed would also be invaluable.

Can anyone recall what version of GIME chip Brother Jeremy's CoCo3
production prototypes were? There is a chance that the mode was removed
from the consumer models starting with the '86 GIME. Brother Jeremy may
have a version of the GIME that predates the '86 version.

Nickolas Marentes