[CoCo] sidetracks

James C. Hrubik, Sr. jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 15 08:33:48 EDT 2005

For all my friends who are wrangling over file format, etc. :  please,
let's not miss the forest for the trees.

Stop a moment and think about what has been proposed.  Michael Harwood
obtained a license agreement from Lonnie to republish Rainbow in
digital format.  Rainbow is THE Color Computer magazine.  It cost $3.95
a copy ( the fatter  ones, anyway), and still did not have the reader
base that it could have.  Why?  Because of the demographics of the CoCo
community.  Remember...

I saw my options for a computer in terms of affordability.  I wanted
the most advanced machine I could get, but was limited with my
finances.  I would have gone with a Mac, but they cost too much at the
time.  So I chose the CoCo.  I bought  a machine.  I used a TV for a
monitor.  I used a GE cassette player to save and load programs.
Little by little I expanded the machine's peripherals.  Why?  I
couldn't afford to do otherwise.

I have sat back and watched this debate turn into something akin to a
religious war.  Perhaps the CoCo community is now so financially mature
that nobody considers cost to be much of an issue.  The Rainbow was
around for 12 years (volumes).  Much has been said about issuing the
entire collection on one DVD -- the arguments about file format
originally revolved around size.  But ... if you had the choice of
buying one DVD at, say $60 plus shipping, or individually purchasing
the volumes over time ( at say, $6 each plus shipping -- Michael will
be the ultimate judge of the end cost of each DVD ), which would you
choose?

If you are still of the CoCo mindset -- get started, add to your
collection as you can -- you may prefer to buy your Rainbow as separate
volume issues.  A tad more expensive that way, but more likely to
produce a higher number of sales.  I, personally, have no need to buy a
Rainbow DVD.  I have nearly all the issues, because I took advantage of
Lonnie's offer before he closed shop to buy the back issues I was
missing.  I'm still missing a few issues, and would probably buy the
volumes that contained those.

Michael, I would suggest that you poll the community in some way to
find out what they would buy.  Figure out the approximate cost of 1
DVD, and the approximate cost of a 12 volume set ( or maybe 10 volume
set, since the latter issues shrank considerably in number of pages),
and find out what your market base prefers.  If the larger portion of
your market would buy their Rainbow in a set on a per volume basis (
which I suspect might be the case), then those who want the whole thing
on one drive can copy each volume to a drive for that purpose.

The main thing is to get the mags digitized and archived.  Twenty years
ago we didn't have DVDs, CDs, or solid state hard drives.  This whole
project will fit on a small iPod, regardless the file format.  The
technology of tomorrow will make the whole argument even sillier.  Why
not even offer the issues for download on a per issue cost, like the
iTunes music store, at 50 cents or 99 cents a pop?  I'll bet you'd sell
more that way than anything else.  Target your market.  Give it some
thought.

+|||||||||  HRUBIK APPRAISAL SERVICES  ||||||||||+
+||||||||   James C. Hrubik, Sr., RAA   |||||||||+
+|||||||  Appraisal & Appraisal Review   ||||||||+
+||||||  Consulting & Litigation Support  |||||||+
+|||||||        V/F-(330)745-8435        ||||||||+
+||||||||    jimhrubik at earthlink.net    |||||||||+