[Coco] CoCo & CoCo OS-9 C compilers

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sun Jan 30 23:17:41 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/30/05 5:05:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
goosey at virgo.sdc.org writes:

As far  as I know, the only real difference is greater speed and  memory
usage.  I haven't really used the combined c.comp much.   It seemed to
have the same limitations as the two-pass compiler, at least  in the
instances I specifically tried on it.

(If you wanna be fussy,  it's still a two-pass compiler, just in a
single executable, rather than  two separate modules using an
intermediate  file.)

I have a copy of that single-pass c.comp, and have used it for years to
compile UltiMusE modules.  I agree, it isn't "better in supporting more  features,
fewer bugs, etc., but it is faster and more convenient to use.

And it does get around some bugs of the old two-module compiler, which
depends on passing a lot of intermediate results via a rather verbose code,  which
makes for a slow pipeline or big intermediate temp file.  And  debugging info
on your programming errors can get lost in that  translation.

I've sent c.comp to several requesters on this List over the years, as an
email attachment.
If the C modules are archived somewhere, we can put my copy up there.
--Mike K.