[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Federal Register - Orphan Works - Important - do send an email please.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 28 22:37:28 EST 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 22:16, Neil Morrison wrote:
>http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2005/70fr3739.html
>
>SUMMARY:
>
>The Copyright Office seeks to examine the issues raised by “orphan
> works,” i.e., copyrighted works whose owners are difficult or even
> impossible to locate. Concerns have been raised that the
> uncertainty surrounding ownership of such works might needlessly
> discourage subsequent creators and users from incorporating such
> works in new creative efforts or making such works available to the
> public. This notice requests written comments from all interested
> parties. Specifically, the Office is seeking comments on whether
> there are compelling concerns raised by orphan works that merit a
> legislative, regulatory or other solution, and what type of
> solution could effectively address these concerns without
> conflicting with the legitimate interests of authors and right
> holders. ....
>
>1. If by electronic mail: Send to orphanworks at loc.gov a message
> containing the name of the person making the submission, his or her
> title and organization (if the submission is on behalf of an
> organization), mailing address, telephone number, telefax number
> (if any) and e-mail address. The message should also identify the
> document clearly as either a comment or reply comment. The document
> itself must be sent as a MIME attachment, and must be in a single
> file in either: (1) Adobe Portable Document File (PDF) format
> (preferred); (2) Microsoft Word 2000 or earlier; (3) WordPerfect
> 8.0 or earlier; (4) Rich Text File (RTF) format; or (5) ASCII text
> file format.
>
>Neil

This second paragraph would seem to be placing needless limitations on
who should be elligable to submit comments.  Is not the name, post
office address etc of the commentor sufficient, or does he have to
have a compelling interest in a specific but orphaned item/work to
qualify?

This strikes me as something the general public should be free to
comment on, without being forced to name a specific item or work, pro
or con.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)