[Coco] Re: Portal-9 3.00 (Windows 2000 compatible)

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Wed Jan 26 18:45:07 EST 2005

At 04:40 AM 1/25/2005, you wrote:
>Hello Roger
>
>Thanks, I use a W2K PC and as you already know.. it doesn't work so pretty
>good with MESS or P9. With the effort to retify that, I'm beginning to get
>excited about it again 8-). I still want to get an older PC running with
>Win98SE just so I can do the hardware things necessary to get the most out
>of the emus.

Ah, but Portal-9 works with Windows 2000 now.  I'm not sure about M.E.S.S.,
though.  Maybe somebody could comment on that.

What's recent in Portal-9?

3.01 adds bookmarking and some other features.  Manual bookmarking lets you
buttons.  Also, assembly errors are automatically bookmarked and you can
jump to those lines with two other error-bookmark find buttons.  No more
scrolling around looking for where the assembly error lines are.  Also
added are descriptive tooltips that popup when you hover over the panel
controls, telling exactly what the control is for, or does.

CCASM now optionally outputs Motorola S-record files using S1/S9.  This
works for multi-origin, single origin, and ROM/raw binaries.
CCASM will also take a binary file as input and output the .asm file!  (a
work in progress)

example:

1) cm pitfall.bin   (outputs an initial raw file: pitfall.dsm)
2) (now do some editing, auto or manual to the .dsm file...)
3) cm pitfall.dsm   (outputs pitfall.asm, and possibly other support .asm
files)

The process is to do step 1 once, then repeat steps 2 and 3 until the
resulting .asm file either LOOKS promising or actually assembles and runs
using CCASM or CASM.  At this point, the disassembly is done.  Portal-9
will allow all steps to be done from a grid editor.

The 6809/6309 disassembler is about 50% through but will not reveal itself
in the IDE until it's completely useable.  It is VERY nice to say the
least, in the form of a grid.  Most of the work left is in the actual
disassembly code, which is part of CCASM.

--
Roger Taylor