[Coco] Re: Cloud-9 Product Comments Wanted

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Jan 26 09:38:01 EST 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 7:48 AM, John W. Linville wrote:
> How about support for 2.5" IDE drives (like used in notebooks)...pretty

Overkill for a CoCo.  Even the smallest 2.5" drive made is in
gigabytes.  Those iPod type hard drives are even way larger than the
CoCo needs.

Sure, IDE offers us alot of possibilities like CD-ROM, etc., but we had
SCSI for SCSI CDs as well for a long, long time and there's never been
any practical reason to have that on a CoCo.  Another thing is we know
that IDE is on its way out as new computers come out with SATA, but
Compact Flash and other mediums used for digital cameras seems to have
a longer potential staying power.  Brand new high-end pro cameras are
coming out using CF, while even low-end consumer personal computers
(like the iMac) are using SATA.

I guess I mostly don't like the idea of external boxes, power supplies,
etc.  Loved my EZ-135 since it was all-in-one, but I've never seen any
all-in-one IDE based devices since it's not usually used for that kind
of thing.

		-- Allen