[Coco] Re: "Historic" CD-i development systems...

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 13:21:39 EST 2005

Hello Allen

On 01/22/2005, Allen Huffman wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2005, at 12:44 AM, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
>
>> There was another out there at the same tine too. It was called the
>> CD32 by
>> Commodore. It was base on the Amiga. With a couple of upgrades it
>> bacame an
>> Amiga. Also before, that Commodore came out with another that was base
>> on
>
> Yes inndeed.  I never saw a CD32, but read about it.  BUT, I did have
> the CD based Amiga that came BEFORE the CD32 -- anyone remember that
> one?  I borrowed it from a friend (with a keyboard and mouse plugged
> in).  The only thing I remember about it was it had a genlock built in,
> and I used it for some VHS home movie titling.
>
>> Maybe it was because they couldn't record to it.... whaddaya thnink?
>
> Price and marketing.  I mean, you can't record on DVDs and look at them
> today -- fastest adoption rate.  VCDs would have done the same if you
> could have bought a $100 VCD player.

True to a degree. With the right software you can record DVDs. At the time
the CDI and the older Commodore box came out (still can't remember its name
but it was balck and designed to look  like part of a component home
entertainment system) CD recording wasn't available to the average
consumer. I do agree that they high prove tag discouraged folks too. It
discouraged me 8-).

> The CoCo and other 8 bit machines ended up being more clunky and
> expensive when you bought all the external serial ports, disk drives,
> etc. that once "cheap PCs" became the norm even if the 8-bits had been
> better (they sure were better than the PC and much of what the AT
> offered), pricing would have won out.

Yeah, I have to agree with you here. I was always trying to find ways to
hide the mass of cabling required by my tricked out CoCo system. I'm pretty
sure I paid $399 dallars for my first floppy drive and I paid $299 for the
second to run on my $256 CoCo 2. Doesn't take long to realize I could have
bought an AT for about the same money, but I wouldn't have had as much fun
and I probably would not have gotten to know you fine folks either.

> Hrm. I miss the days of all those competing systems.  Much more choice
> back then.

AMEN!! It was the golden age of computing. It's such a shame we don't
recognize those time until they are past.

Regards
--
Criusing on AutoPilot                       |
        With an Amiga           ---o-o-O-o-o---  and a CoCo