[Coco] Re: "Historic" CD-i development systems...

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Jan 22 12:44:49 EST 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 12:44 AM, Richard E. Crislip wrote:

> There was another out there at the same tine too. It was called the
> CD32 by
> Commodore. It was base on the Amiga. With a couple of upgrades it
> bacame an
> Amiga. Also before, that Commodore came out with another that was base
> on

Yes inndeed.  I never saw a CD32, but read about it.  BUT, I did have
the CD based Amiga that came BEFORE the CD32 -- anyone remember that
one?  I borrowed it from a friend (with a keyboard and mouse plugged
in).  The only thing I remember about it was it had a genlock built in,
and I used it for some VHS home movie titling.

> Maybe it was because they couldn't record to it.... whaddaya thnink?

Price and marketing.  I mean, you can't record on DVDs and look at them
today -- fastest adoption rate.  VCDs would have done the same if you
could have bought a $100 VCD player.

The CoCo and other 8 bit machines ended up being more clunky and
expensive when you bought all the external serial ports, disk drives,
etc. that once "cheap PCs" became the norm even if the 8-bits had been
better (they sure were better than the PC and much of what the AT
offered), pricing would have won out.

Hrm. I miss the days of all those competing systems.  Much more choice
back then.

		-- Allen