[Coco] Re: Color Computer 3 prototype

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jan 21 12:10:46 EST 2005

Torsten

I can suggest a possible reason.

1) the board is labeled with 7 IC patterns as Spare 1 thru spare 7.
What t hey did is lay down a IC pattern to solder in a IC or a socket
and then use wire wrap to connect to the rest of the circuit. This is
feeble attempt to make a breadbord area. Four of the seven spare
IC slots are used and two of them are PAL chips that are labeled
"INT". My guess is that these chips contain the logic to implement
the IRQ and FIRQ routining as determined by the registers at
$FF92/3.

2) In doing all softwre test boards sometimes the schematic has to
change because it makes the software easier to do. When doing a
project like this there are compromises in the hardware and
software. And the debate as to whiat should be done where. This
often causes a PCB changes and instead of doing a new board, cut
runners and use wire wrap.

been there done that all too many times. One software test board I
did went through three passes to finally get something that looked
decent and was usable. All because of h ardware changes
requested by the software group.

james