[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Emulating

Davey Brain dsbrain at neosplice.com
Sun Jan 16 00:42:57 EST 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 15 January 2005 16:31, James the Animal Tamer wrote:
>
>>>What are you emulating if I may ask?
>>
>>The Radio Shack Microcolor Computer TRS-80 MC-10, a very long name
>>for a very small computer.
>
> I see.  Thats one I personally didn't fool with as it didn't run os9.

The full name is even longer "The TRS-80 MC-10 Microcolor Computer" (I
bought one as my second computer after I hit the limitations of the
Sinclair ZX-81 I built from a $99 kit). It was a lot like a faster
ZX-81/TS1000 with the addition of color & sound.

>>It's almost on topic here, since it's
>>sort of like a CoCo, although there is another group for the MC-10.
>
> Almost, but not quite, the cpu was IIRC a 6803, a somewhat lessor
> equipt cpu when held up beside the 6809.

One small correction: the MC6803 is technically not even a CPU. In the
"6800 Microprocessor Book" by Jack Quinn Motorola defines it (and the
6800 & 6802)  as an MPU (microprocessing unit). I'm not an engineer so I
don't really know the minute differences between a CPU & an MPU; but it
was created to use in embedded systems. It did work quite well as a CPU
in the MC-10. In fact, overall, BASIC ran faster on the slower (.89 Mhz)
MC6803 MC-10 than on a CoCo. Most attributed this to a smaller RAM
address space and a more compact & optimized BASIC ROM. But the MC6803
has a very useful & complete assembly coding language. Quite a nice
little design for an MPU; but the implementation on the MC-10 limited
the flexibility quite a lot. We hacked around a lot of it but still...

>>The version up on my website is 0.69b -- since it's less than 1.0,
>>you can imagine there're a couple of features missing (heck, I'll
>>name them:  debugger, saving of tape pulse data, some attempt at
>>emulating the CGP-115 pen-platen plotter, better sound).  The
>>emulator archive contains some software images, and some
>>documentation -- enough to get you started, I hope.
>>
>>I've also written other emulators in various stages of completion.
>>

> <www.geocities.com/emucompboy>
>
> Neat!

Hey emucompboy! Consider this a request to port your emulators to other
operating systems including Linux, BeOS and (of course) OS/2. In fact,
try using OpenGL <http://www.opengl.org/> instead of DirectX and the
ports would be easy!

Hi buddy.
WarpDavey, back from the dead...
--
Davey Brain
Due to political oppression I'm seeking a Canadian or European

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject." - Winston Churchill

This OS/2 uptime is 1 d 07 h 50 m 24 seconds

Yahoo! Groups Links