[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Complete Commodore 64 home computer on a single chip

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Thu Jan 13 00:55:28 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "George H" <highplainsthumper at yahoo.com>

> Mebbe so.  I used to remember when Radio Shack was more of an
> electronics store, then merged with Allied Radio.  AFAIK then they
> bought Heathkit

Nope, never happened.

> and that got their computer expertise and
> manufacturing.

Pretty much home grown actually. See "TRS-80 architect.htm" (TRS-80
architect reminisces about design project) in

for a history lesson on Radio Shack and the Model I.

> Over time they departed from electronics into
> electronics appliances and toys.  I don't fault them for that, they
> need to make a buck.
>
> What I was referring to is they would steer customers away from the
> CoCo and into their more expensive TRS-80 BASIC, CP/M and later MS-Dos
> / Windows systems.

You're confusing the company and the sales people. The sales people hated
the Coco stuff because the net commissions were small and the hassle was
extreme. We used to hide the Coco stuff out back so the subject didn't come
up.

> Now they don't even put their name on computer products, it's another
> outlet for Compac.

They buy and have deals with a buch of suppliers. They own several factories
in the Far East.

Just wanted to correct a few errors. The real historian BTW is Frank Durda
IV.

Neil

Yahoo! Groups Links