[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] History Bytes

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Mon Jan 10 19:00:28 EST 2005

On Jan 10, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Neil Morrison wrote:

> Actually, I wouldn't be amazed if Gates released the old Basics to
> public
> domain. It's inconceivable that there will ever be a way for him to
> make a
> buck from these, and he's already offering some modern compilers for
> free so
> he might just do it. It would have to be his choice though, because
> I'm sure
> his lawyers would love to make money suing for no point at all given
> half a
> chance.

I would be very surprised.  One taking the statement, release into the
public domain relinquishes all IP rights, that is I could sell this
program, or one trivially derived from it.  If you are talking about
something similar to the freeware route, Bill Gates has been a vocal
opponent of free software since the '70s.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?