[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] History Bytes

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Mon Jan 10 16:28:19 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger at pobox.com>

> Additionally, if someone were really interested in being on the right
> side of the law, one could set aside and not use a real Coco ROM for
> each SoC produced.
>
> Short of that, one would actually have to rewrite the ROMS from scratch
> (using an independently created interface document, probably a ROM entry
> point map with all useful documented and undocumented entry points) to
> actually be completely legal.
>
> Although Samsung probably won't enforce IP in this area, I will bet that
> Microsoft would.

Actually, I wouldn't be amazed if Gates released the old Basics to public
domain. It's inconceivable that there will ever be a way for him to make a
buck from these, and he's already offering some modern compilers for free so
he might just do it. It would have to be his choice though, because I'm sure
his lawyers would love to make money suing for no point at all given half a
chance.