[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] History Bytes

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Mon Jan 10 15:50:39 EST 2005

At 03:40 PM 1/10/05 -0500, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Also it seems that if one were to alter significantly the Basic ROMs to a
point that
>they function like them but contained significantly enough different code,
then the
>new ROM(s) would not fall under Microsoft's and Microware's patents and/or
>copyrights.

The latest wrench of the monkeys is provided by the combination of Digital
Millennium Copyright Act and related revisions to the copyright law. The
DMCA outlaws reverse engineering, and is retrospective in application. So
all those "Decoded" books, for example, are technically illegal now.

I think you can either go the legal route or go the 'abandonware' route,
knowing that at any time a pack of lawyers with too much time on their
hands may descend on you with cease-and-desist orders.

And if you don't think it happens for even the tiniest of reasons and with
a total confusion of the facts, here's mine:
http://kalvos.org/gif/moses-singer.gif with response at
http://kalvos.org/vanity.html

Dennis