[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] History Bytes

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 10 15:40:24 EST 2005

Neil and All

It is my understanding from the memo your link refers to is that Samsung now holds
all Tandy IP with the exception of software done by Microware and Microsoft.

Also it seems that if one were to alter significantly the Basic ROMs to a point that
they function like them but contained significantly enough different code, then the
new ROM(s) would not fall under Microsoft's and Microware's patents and/or
copyrights.

A Coco on a SoC version with significantly altered hardware that was not 100%
backward compatible would not fall under copyrights or IP of either Tandy or
Samsung or AST.

The main hurdle of a Coco on a SoC is not totally limited to the ROM(s). One must
also consider that the instruction set of the MC6809 is IP of Motorola. The advanced
instructions of the HD6309 are also IP of Hitachi.

just my thoughts

james