[Coco] [Color Computer] WordPak RS/CO80

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jan 6 14:54:16 EST 2005

Boisy

>From the Synertek data sheet there are two means of accessing the video ram,
Shared and transparent.

In shared memory configuration, the CPU will have glue logic to keep the CPU
address lines from contending with the video display address lines. Basically the 14
address lines from the CRTC and the 14 address lines from the CPU are muxed
and the E clock controls the mux. Data is latched in from the CPU data buss on the
rising edge of the Eclock. May need some minor glue logic to prevent inadvertent
writes.

In transparent Mode the CPU write to the Update registers, R18 and R19, the 14 bit
address to be  updated. Data is latched into a buffer and the RA4 line from the Chip
will activate say an OE from the latch to write to the ram on or after a delay from the
rising edge of the ECLOCK..

The key  here is that when the ECLOCK is high that is the CPU's access time to the
video ram. When the E clock is low the CRTC chip reads from the video ram and
dioes refresh. Thisis how the GIME chip works and the 6847 Chip also.

My guess that the board is using transparent mode. Therefore you have one
address to write to the registers and perhaps a sequential address to write to the
data latch . The board probably has some glue logic to decode the address and with
the R/W* line store it in the 8 bit latch. The RA4 line of the CRTC will then load the
video ram at the address loaded in R18 and R19. In this manner the video ram does
not overlay onto the Coco3's ram and there is no contention. The key is knowing the
two addresses. Second is knowing that the card is fully functional.

Albeit slow it is a neat way in getting a higher resolutoin CRTC chip onto the Coco3.
For 80 column text this would not be to bad. For Graphics it is painfully slow.

james