[Coco] WordPak RS/CO80

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Jan 3 22:19:31 EST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 8:20 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:

> Maybe it is for the Disto Display-80 rather than the WordPak?
> Conceivably,
> Tandy at the time the module was developed might have been leaning
> toward
> licensing the Disto display rather than a version of the PBJ WordPak
> that was
> its competitor?  Or maybe the driver is for the original PBJ WordPak
> rather than
> the WordPak-RS, in which case I think the only difference would be the
> base
> address of the registers.

Perhaps.  I'm not familiar with the Disto board, though I did see it
while walking through the Rainbows this afternoon in search of more
information on this card.

There's more than just a base address difference.  The co80 driver that
I started with is very simplistic in what it does, and doesn't even
begin to address the complexity that this card has when it comes to
setting up.

I did dig up something interesting about this driver in one of the
Kissable OS-9 columns in the Rainbow.  Puckett was writing about one of
the Microware OS-9 expos in Des Moines, and one of the programmers
talked about the CO80 module being written according to a specification
that Tandy provided them, but with hardware that was in prototype
stage.

What a mystery...