[Coco] IDE internal 100mb ZIP drives

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 26 00:37:41 EST 2005

Mark,  I screwed up royally.  Turned on the CoCo for the first time in
about seven months to get your ident and realized I ran into the same
probem.  I rationalized by going from ZIP to floppy on the same machine
and started checking out pcdos to correct it (7+ months ago).  Searched
frantically for the notes I took and just spent several hours working
from there.

Realizing that when Bob Santy wrote pcdos, noone would ever expect to
transfer data from media larger than 720k, I searched the module for the
1440 sectors or 737,280 byte limitations.  Also for formatted DOS 1420
sectors and 727,040 bytes.  No luck.  I have no idea what identifies
media as being formatted under MSDOS, so didn't look much further there.

Next, I printed out dumps of the directory sectors of both 720kb
floppies and 100mb Zips both blank formatted and formatted with files.
 Will spend some time looking at them, but what really struck me as
strange is that the first floppy sector has no similar features as the
first ZIP sector.  No wonder ther is an identification problem.  Will
continue to look for something that can be tweaked so the ZIP will be
identified.  Won't be easy, though, because the biggest ZIP is what I
know about MSDOS, or anything by Bill Gates.

I deeply apologize for the misinformation I have been spreading.  I
guess I thought it was going to be a cinch when I broke away from it.
 Well, at least it got me back to working with the CoCo ... and enjoying it!

Cheers,  Ray